Suge Knight’s defense team in his murder case had a request to see the names of witnesses and several confidential informants denied in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, July 22.
Prosecutors argued that the former Death Row Records owner had a history of violence and were worried about witnesses intimidation.
Judge Ronald Coen agreed with the prosecution, according to the New York Daily News.
The ruling sparked an emotional response from Knight, who said didn’t want to be incarcerated the rest of his life.
“My time is ticking some days because of the health problems I have, and right now I’m not getting a fair chance to prove my innocence,” he told Judge Coen. “If I don’t have the right to discuss my business or my own finances to take care of my own children, how do I have a right to defend myself? Because if I have no communication with the world, I cannot hire the right people. They’ve worked so far but they’re not getting paid. I hate to have to go through all this and die in jail.”
Suge Knight’s lawyer, J. Toosen, and fiancee Toi-Lin Kelly speak outside of the courtroom
“I think all of this is just starting to take a toll on him both emotionally and physically. Obviously he’s been incarcerated over a year. He’s not getting the proper medical attention. And what you saw today was just a product of that,” defense lawyer J. Tooson told the Daily News after the hearing.
Knight is facing murder and attempted murder charges stemming from a January 29, 2015, hit-and-run incident outside Tam’s Burgers in Compton, that killed Terry Carter and injured Cle “Bone” Sloan.
Terry Carter was killed when Suge Knight’s truck slammed into him in 2015
If convicted the 51-year old record mogul faces up to life in prison.