Rapper Troy Ave is carried out of Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday after being set free on bail. (ALEC TABAK/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Troy Ave was granted bail on Monday, July 11, following a hearing in Manhattan Criminal Court, according to the New York Daily News.
The BSB Records CEO, had been held without bail since his May 26 arrest, stemming from a shooting backstage during a May 25 concert by T.I. and Irving Plaza in New York City.
Prosecutor’s agreed to the rapper’s $500,000 bail amount, which was secured by his mother’s Brooklyn, New York home.
Under the release agreement, the 30-year old rapper, born Roland Collins, must wear an ankle monitor, must stay away from bars, arenas, concert halls or any other performance video.
He is also barred from leaving New York City.
Troy is charged with attempted murder, weapons possession and other charges stemming from the incident in which his longtime friend Ronald McPhatter died and three people, including Troy were wounded.
“What is clear is that the investigation from the outset has been hampered by the defendant who not only fired and removed the weapon from the crime scene, he refused to help in any way [to identify] who killed McPhatter,” Assistant District Attorney Joshua Steinglass said.
Steinglass added that the investigation is still ongoing.
Troy’s attorney, John Stella, argued that his client acted in self-defense when he fired the weapon that he took away from the person who shot McPhatter.
“We feel that we have a case to present that’s ultimately going to exonerate him and indicate that his actions were justified,” Stella told reporters outside the courtroom.