At least three lawsuits have already been filed as a result of the tragedy at Astroworld.
Travis Scott and Drake are named as defendants, along with concert promoter Live Nation. Two of the suits, filed on behalf of concertgoers who say they were injured after a crowd surge occurred during the Houston music festival where at least eight people were killed, are seeking $1 million in damages.
According to CBS News, a civil suit by plaintiff Kristian Paredes blames Scott and Drake for negligently inciting “a riot and violence.” The suit, which seeks $1 million in damages, also claims Live Nation failed to provide adequate security and medical services.
there was ambulances literally inside the crowd at astroworld pic.twitter.com/nQIU6WrEgp
— ona (ෆ˙ᵕ˙ෆ)♡ (@onacasella) November 6, 2021
The lawsuit alleges that Scott “had incited mayhem and chaos at prior events,” and says the other defendants didn’t take steps to prevent that behavior. It also claims that surprise guest Drake “helped incite the crowd even though he knew of [Scott’s] prior conduct,” and “continued to perform on stage while the crowd mayhem continued.”
Paredes was standing at the front of the general admission section and “felt an immediate push” before “the crowd became chaotic and a stampede began.” Paredes says he “suffered severe bodily injuries” that “had a serious effect on the Plaintiff’s health and well-being.”
“Many begged security guards hired by Live Nation Entertainment for help, but were ignored,” the lawsuit adds.
— The Johnny Tokes Show (@JohnnyTokesShow) November 6, 2021
Additionally, civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump has filed a lawsuit on behalf of 21-year-old Noah Gutierrez, and expects to file more for other alleged victims next week.
“We are hearing horrific accounts of the terror and helplessness people experienced — the horror of a crushing crowd and the awful trauma of watching people die while trying unsuccessfully to save them,” Crump said in a statement. “We will be pursuing justice for all our clients who were harmed in this tragic and preventable event.”
A third suit, filed on behalf of Manuel Souza, names Scott, Live Nation, and concert promoter Scoremore as defendants. Souza claims he “suffered serious bodily injuries when the uncontrolled crowd at the concert knocked him to the ground and trampled him.”
He alleges that his injuries “were the inevitable and predictable result of [the] defendants’ conscious disregard of the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers that had been escalating since hours earlier” and the “defendants’ active decision to let the show go on.”
In a video message Saturday, Scott said he was “devastated” by the tragic events. “I could never imagine anything like this happening,” he said. “I just want to send out prayers to the ones that was lost last night… My fans really mean the world to me and I always just want to leave them with a positive experience.”
#TravisScott speaks on last nights tragic events at the Astroworld Festival. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of those who lost their lives. 🙏 @trvisXX pic.twitter.com/9MeSgEbwAg
— WORLDSTARHIPHOP (@WORLDSTAR) November 7, 2021
Eight people died, ranging from ages 14 to 27, and hundreds more were injured during the festival at Houston’s NRG Park. Astroworld will provide full refunds for all attendees who purchased tickets.
Amid the tragedy, Travis has pulled out of this weekend’s Day N Vegas Festival, Variety reports. He was scheduled to headline on Saturday, Nov. 13, but sources say he is “too distraught to play.”